At the end of this study session, you will be able to:
- Explain the reasons for giving IV fluid therapy or catheterising the bladder of a pregnant woman.
- Describe the equipment, the preparation and the procedure for starting intravenous (IV) fluid therapy, including selecting a suitable venipuncture site, and inserting and removing a cannula from a vein.
- Describe how you would monitor IV fluid therapy.
- Describe the equipment, the preparation and the technique of how to insert and remove a urinary catheter.
- Describe the infection control procedures required to reduce the risk of infection resulting from IV fluid therapy or catheterising the bladder.
Last modified: Tuesday, 20 May 2014, 1:16 PM