The goals of a woman-centred comprehensive post-abortion service are to:
- Provide safe, high-quality services
- Decentralise services to the most local level possible
- Be affordable and acceptable to women
- Understand each woman's particular social circumstances and individual needs, and tailor her care accordingly
- Reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies and abortions
- Identify and serve women with other sexual or reproductive health needs
- Be affordable and sustainable to the health system.
To achieve these goals, you have many roles to play, including recognising the individual needs and social circumstances of individual women and guiding them where to get appropriate care at the appropriate time. You also have to act effectively in response to any referral note a woman may bring back to her village from a higher level health facility.