In this Study Session, you have learned that:
- Integrated waste management is built upon the 3 Rs –reduce, reuse and recycle – and on the waste hierarchy.
- ISWM involves using a combination of waste management methods to achieve the best waste management solution.
- ISWM builds on the four principles of equity, effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability.
- ISWM has three components: the waste system elements; stakeholders; and influencing factors.
- ISWM can be applied to towns and cities of all sizes but the details will vary depending on the population size and amount of waste produced.
- Implementing ISWM requires resources and investment in equipment and staff training. It may be necessary to offer incentives to encourage municipalities and others to develop an ISWM system.
Last modified: Monday, 22 August 2016, 12:17 PM